Author Topic: Mallard Snowmobile  (Read 2108 times)

addicted2oldsleds

• Hardcore Sledder
  • Fear da Pack
    • Springstead Lake Lodge
Mallard Snowmobile
« on: January 01, 2010, 10:02:34 AM »

I have been offered a chance to purchase a Mallard Sno-Wing sled. The sled is said to be in very good condition, with the original seat being perfect, etc. The only damage to the sled is a "hole" in the track. It is original & not restored.

Here is the weird part: All Mallards were teal green in color, this one is red. The owner claims that Chaparral was attempting to buy out Mallard when they made a few of them in red. The deal fell through and the red ones were sold to the public. I have no way to verify this? It is an interesting story. The owner also claims that the sled is a '67. It cannot be since Mallards were made from '68 to '70 from what I can tell. Anyone have any info that they may be able to share regarding Mallard snowmobiles?
The owner of this sled is asking me for "offers". I have no idea what it may be worth. It has a JLO single in it. I told the owner that I would guess it should be worth $500 to me. Maybe a bit more to a serious "Mallard" collector. Does this sound high or low?

For those of you who have not seen one of these, here is a link to a restored one on Davids Vintage Snowmobiles:
http://www.vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com/PP13113.html
BraapFest Feb. 21 2015
Springstead, WI   www.springsteadlakelodge.net
"the most fun you can have on snow"

oldsled

• Garage Guru
  • Let's Ride.
Re: Mallard Snowmobile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:36:58 AM »

That is interesting.  I think the early Chapparals do look like the Mallard.  It is well worth $500 if its complete.   2utp

Oldsledz

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 12:51:30 PM »

I would like to see a photo of the red Mallard.
 The 68 Chapp and mallard look like they could have came off the same line.

addicted2oldsleds

• Hardcore Sledder
  • Fear da Pack
    • Springstead Lake Lodge
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 10:51:48 PM »

The guy is sitting here is says it is for sure a '67. Could Chappy have made the first prototype Mallards?
BraapFest Feb. 21 2015

Sledrescue

• Garage Guru
    • Cannon Classic Sleds
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:30:20 PM »

It is very possible that it is a 1967. Without seeing any pictures it is hard to say. I would guess that it could be a 1968 or 69 Chaparral Snow Birdie

http://www.snowmobilehalloffame.com/chap.htm

Chaparral Prototype

"Keith Hubers 1967 prototype sleds originally called Snow Birdies and later the company became Chaparral Industries.  The original prototypes were built in Galva, IL.".  Note the fiberglass tunnel, dual headlights, gas tank was under seat, engine was a JLO and how about those bicycle handlebars !  Bill Bales of Austin, TX took the company to the next level and built a plant in Grand Jct, CO.  Production was later moved to Denver, CO."

Sledrescue

• Garage Guru
    • Cannon Classic Sleds
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 11:32:18 PM »

If it is a 1967 it would be worth at least $1500 USD if it is in good to excellent condition

Retro Yeti

• Hardcore Sledder
  • N. O. T. W.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 06:04:55 AM »

Personally......if it were me.......I would pass and hold out till I found a nice Larson.

To me, they are a little similar, but have cooler styling.   8)
Down the long and winding road........on a path seldom traveled.......followed by so very few.

addicted2oldsleds

• Hardcore Sledder
  • Fear da Pack
    • Springstead Lake Lodge
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »

You guys are pretty much on the mark here. After speaking to the guy yesterday, he says that the tunnel is fiberglass with wood under the seat. The sled is all red with Mallard decals and a Mallard tag that says it was built in West Bend, WI. It may have been built somewhere else and just tagged by Mallard?

I cannot get pictures, yet. Most of you guys know how these things work. The guy is feeling this all out. This is the second time he has asked my if I wanted this sled. The first time I blew him off thinkinh that it was just an old oddball that was nothing special.
BraapFest Feb. 21 2015

scott61

• Rookie
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 12:10:17 PM »

There was a thread on the other vintage site about a year ago that all the brands that were made and the manufacturing locations. The mallards were built in West bend but they mostly built campers.

feere the deere

• Garage Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 02:24:31 PM »

My wifes Uncle Frank was a engineer for Mallead in West Bend Wi.
He worked on the snowmobile projects as well as others.
Sorry that I can not get any info from him, he passed away last summer.
I alone am bringing the STASH BACK!!