Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Blown up Suzuki and shelled out track drivers!  (Read 13563 times)

YFZ_Butch

• Garage Guru
Blown up Suzuki and shelled out track drivers!
« on: October 27, 2009, 07:31:38 PM »

Last year my 292 Suzuki Nomad "ditchbanger" was running like crap and after a short break I went to restart it and nothing.  After a close inspection I noticed that a crank seal was hanging out between the crankcase and primary clutch.  I found a new seal, removed the clutch, pounded in the new crank seal, put the clutch back on and proceeded to go tear it up some more on this 20hp speed demon.  About a week later during some clutch tuning and a few too many RPM's I developed a head gasket leak.  I retorqued the head and the leak went away.  I'm pretty sure somewhere in those two incidents I sucked a decent amount of air because it has been running progressively worse ever since.  Tonight I finally decided to get to the bottom of it and after taking the top-end off found indeed there had been damage to both the cylinder and piston.

So the problem now is finding parts.  I picked up a +.020" NOS piston and a piston pin and head gasket off ebay.  My question is does anyone know where to find the proper rings for this piston?  I couldn't find any NOS OEM rings anywhere.  I know Wiseco used to make rings for this piston.  Is it possible that Wiseco rings off a different more current or readily available piston would work, say a SL292 Yamaha?  Anyone have any hiding in their garage?  How about a base gasket?  I'm assuming I'll just have to make that. 

How about track drivers for these sleds?  I converted this one to run Yamaha drivers cause my supply of Suzuki one's is out.  It wasn't that hard but a little bit of a pain, plus I just bought 73 340 Nomad at an auction with only 187 miles on it that I don't want to chop up and both of it's drivers are shot!  Anyone else looking for these?  Would there be enough interest in them to justify building a mold??

Any words of wisdom or advice on finding Suzuki parts would be much appreciated!

Thanks-Butch

yukon

• Garage Guru
Re: Blown up Suzuki and shelled out track drivers!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 07:39:24 PM »

well if you cant find anything for it sell me your coil :) yeehaw
i love the smell of Klotz in the morning!

addicted2oldsleds

• Hardcore Sledder
  • Fear da Pack
    • Springstead Lake Lodge
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 07:53:06 PM »

I have lots of Suzuki parts. I may have the gasket that you need. I would need a part number. I have at least 40 gaskets in the original bags.

Yukon, I have a 340 nomad that would likely have a good coil. Would that fit?
BraapFest Feb. 21 2015
Springstead, WI   www.springsteadlakelodge.net
"the most fun you can have on snow"

yukon

• Garage Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 07:54:06 PM »

boy i dunno i'll have to check that out right quick
i love the smell of Klotz in the morning!

addicted2oldsleds

• Hardcore Sledder
  • Fear da Pack
    • Springstead Lake Lodge
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 07:59:42 PM »

Where is Zuk for this stuff? He is the Suzuki expert.
BraapFest Feb. 21 2015

YFZ_Butch

• Garage Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »

The base gasket I need is P/N 11241-97500

The rings I need are P/N 12140-97730

Could also use circlips P/N 09381-18002

Skerz

• Hardcore Sledder
  • Howdy
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 12:56:54 PM »

Has anyone ever tried the Yami pistons in a Suzi? Is anyone reproducing the drive sprockets, Suzi's are awesome machines with the exception of the drive sprockets are junk.

Butch, you're just too hard on things.

Vintage Sledneck

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 02:59:03 PM »

rock on Ye vintage ditchbangers  rock on

zuknomad

• 'Viceroy de Vintage'
  • Hardcore Sledder
  • ice is nice
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »

Where is Zuk for this stuff? He is the Suzuki expert.
 h.a.p.

A bit of a stretch, Craig, but I have had them pretty far apart! Seriously, I do have parts catalogs, a repair manual and know a few of the strong points/weaknesses with the SM30 and SM11, which are nearly identical except for the mill, chaincase and a few features.

Yup Butch, I sold you the piston, etc. It's always pissed me off that Suzuki didn't package rings, pin, bearing, and circlips with the pistons like many other manufacturers! Lafeet's Yamaha in Florida had a OS set of rings on eBay last spring, but I told another guy about them back then and he might've picked them up. I have been trying to find out if the head for a yammi 292 single will fit, as I have one machine with a bad one (using a sav-a-thread insert in the spark plug hole), but thus far have gotten nowhere on interchangeability of the piston/head stuff with the Yamaha.

Ya and those single sprocket drivers...the 'original' urethane ones busted up so easy. Somewhere in the middle of production they started making them out of a little better material, but they still weren't great. There was a company out of SE Michigan that repopped them for many years, but then moved south and discontinued doing it sometime in the 90's. Lots of folks looking for them. I have one left (I've replaced a couple) on a spare rear axle assembly. I do not have a base gasket, but have seen the LLp kit containing both the head and base gasket on eBay as well for around $10. I have the LLp part# somewhere...

Pick up that SM11L 340cc that addicted2 has and you'll have a parts machine for both, except for some suspension and trim stuff that's different.  Parts are difficult to find for SM30 sleds and I pick up parts lots when I can find them cheap and sell off what I can't use. Let me do some digging to see if I can find any of what you're looking for, Butch. Are you going to A-1 show here in Michigan next weekend? They did sell a lot of Suzis in this state and there may be some parts at that show. I'll be looking for sure and if you're not going, I'll stick my neck out and say I'll shop for both of us. On the cheap.

Sorry Yukon, the 340cc uses a twin ignition coil set-up that is different than the one used on the single. I have my eye out for those, too...Are you going to A-1? Missed one on eBay for $10(!) this spring. The stuff isn't plentiful, but is out there; usually not that expensive 'cuz of being oddball and not terribly desirable. Some one-lung racers have abandoned trying to run the 292s' because of the hit-or-miss parts availabilty.

If you guys wanna talk in person, feel free to call me @231-448-2707, or PM me on the site. P.S: Good solution to take care of the 'junk seat' almost all of them have after 35+ years, Butch!

Marilyn, wantin' snow so bad she can taste it...

zuk
'anyone can drive a new sled, it takes some dedication to run crap'

addicted2oldsleds

• Hardcore Sledder
  • Fear da Pack
    • Springstead Lake Lodge
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »

Did I remember to say that Zuk is our resident Suzuki info god?
BraapFest Feb. 21 2015
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18