Author Topic: 1996 Polaris XCR 600 SP  (Read 3353 times)

Bud

• Bushwacker
  • Push it to the limit
1996 Polaris XCR 600 SP
« on: November 15, 2012, 10:59:03 PM »

My girlfriend went out and bought herself a 1996 Polaris XCR 600 SP and I was wondering what are some of the problems that this year had. I've been reading a lot around and some people get problems and some did not any ideas? ??hed?

DoubleClutch

• Trailblazer
  • Motorcycle-Atv-Snowmobile Repair Shop Owner
Re: 1996 Polaris XCR 600 SP
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:12:11 AM »

I no there was issue's with the water pump's on some models but can't recall which one's.

chris r

• Hardcore Sledder
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 07:31:46 AM »

I'm thinking they had problems with cranks when people put pipes and clutch work on them. I've got a 95 hear with a burned piston and am hoping the crank is fine.   whistle
BEER WILL CHANGE THE WORLD!

I don't know how, but it will.

pooch

• Hardcore Sledder
  • GOT GAS ?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »

They had issues with clutching and jetting out of the box.  ( to fat and to heavy ) 4rth oiler line helps for crank issues. ( 1997 and up - up date )
Unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy

Wankel88

• Hardcore Sledder
  • Don't let your meatloaf.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:07:34 AM »

A 95 XCR has an XLT engine. The 96 SP and 97 SE got a better motor. The only problem I have ever seen with them is the water pump. If it has more than 3,000 or 4,000 miles on it I would replace the seals and bearings in that pump. A buddy of mine has a 96, I have a 97.
Ice, snow, or grass, I'll kick your ass!

Bud

• Bushwacker
  • Push it to the limit
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 09:44:38 PM »

I have been hearing the same things about the jetting is fat and heavy out of factory, bought it from a guy who's parents rode it around the lake. But it seems to have been drag raced by someone because the clutching springs are not factory and the track had studs. Looks as if it was set up pretty well but when I tear it down this summer I will be putting new seals and bearings in the water pump. Thanks for the help!

Drmario

• Hardcore Sledder
  • C U Next Time!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:11:15 AM »

When I was dealing in late models, I had picked up one of them. My oldest brother bought it from me. I found it anoying as hell to drive, but I'm told there are things you can do to make them much better. The bog and then power band is what I didn't like. Constantly jerking you. Not a smooth take off.
 I still have a 97 Ultra SPX. Pretty much the same sled, only a 680. I bought it smashed and rebuilt it. I put aftermarket pipes on it. It was fun on the lakes and open fields, but kind of like trying to steer a cow through the woods. Pushed in the corners and very heavy. I think it's been sitting for 8 years or so now. Not worth much, so I'm going to keep it. It was one on my custom rebuilds.

GHenry

• Hardcore Sledder
  • .. and the answer to your question is ............
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »

Dr. M has it right.  Those sleds were "turds" ..... too heavy, rode crappy, and a good Elan would blow it out of the water on the low end.

Those sleds were a case reed triple / triple from the factory .... but were a dud in my opinion.  The following year was a much better sled, but still weighed almost as much as a locomotive and still had low end bog issues.

I had both years brand new ..... went back to the big twins in '98 and never looked back.
There comes a time in life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama & the people who create it & surround yourself with people who make you laugh. It's not worth the time to be all consumed by such trivial matters that for some is a need, and a way of life.

You know who you are ..........